Travel Diary: My First Week in Cairo


Before I left for my trip, my sister reminded not to be finicky. At first, I couldn't understand why she said that. Do I look like someone who is squeamish? :/ I guess my sister has the gift of prophecy. Lol She already told me what to do before the problem even came. I have been watching vlogs and documentaries about Egypt, and I was mesmerized to see how beautiful it is.  However, when I arrived in Cairo, I got a bit disappointed because it wasn't really what I expected. All I saw are just old buildings, dusty areas, and traffic. It's like Manila except that the buildings are old and not artistic. When I saw the hostel I was supposed to stay for a few weeks, I was baffled because it's old and full of dust. I actually had a runny nose afterwards because of the dust and dirt. When I saw the kitchen, it was also dirty and very messy, but I just told myself, "Hala, Jon! Pinili mo yan! Panagutan mo yan (I chose this, then I should be responsible for it). Ahmed Samy, my self-proclaimed buddy, asked me about my impression of the hostel. I just said, "It's okay". What I meant is "it's not wow, but I can tolerate it." I think I should not be complaining but rather be grateful that I have a place to live. My organization exerted an effort to find a place for me. They also tried their best to get my visa approved. They accommodated me even when they were busy. They helped me make my childhood dream come true. Like duh? What do I expect? I'm in the old downtown of Cairo. I asked Samy why it is like this. He told me that the building is more than 200 years old. "Oh, really?!", I astonishedly proclaimed with my eyes open wide. My disappointment suddenly turned into excitement because I love historical places. I now considered it as a priviledge to be in that building rather than a bad luck. If I was able to survive sleeping in the mountains and caves, I'm sure that these things are nothing. My roommates were complaining about the mosquitoes, but didn't I sleep with snakes and centipedes? I think mosquitoes are also nothing. Samy asked me again if I was okay with the hostel and my room. I smiled and said, "Yes. It's good." I had worse when I did my thesis in college and when I volunteered for Gawad Kalinga. I don't think it should matter where I stay, what's important is what I will do. I am here for a purpose. If there's a problem, I should not complain about it but find a way to solve it. I asked the receptionist why the kitchen is often messy and she told me that the Indian guys in the hostel just always leave their utensils unwashed. Fortunately, the cleaner at the hostel arrived on my second day. I was happy that everything is clean. I saw an Indian guy cooking afterwards, and I thought that he must be the one the receptionist was talking about, so I told him, "The cleaner just finished cleaning today, so wash everything you used, okay?!" He obliged. However, on my third day, I went to Ain Sokhna in Suez, so I was not able to monitor the kitchen. When I went back to my hostel in Cairo, I found it messy again even after the staff in the hostel cleaned it. I just washed the utensils and cleaned the kitchen by myself. My family has trained me to have initiative and not wait for others to do something if I can do it by myself. The next day, the kitchen was messy again, so I found a brilliant idea to solve this problem. I was annoyed that it's always disorganized even the staff in the hostel just finished cleaning it a while ago. It looked horrible that the rest of us in the hostel could no longer use it. I asked the receptionist who made the mess and told her to bring me to the culprits. I talked to them and told them that they shouldn't just leave their utensils in the kitchen after using them. Don't worry, I think I was polite (Yeah, I think so. Hahaha) I just told them the way I tell my nephews to wash their dishes but just in a more gentle way. I said, "Excuse me! Are you the ones creating a mess in the kitchen? I washed your dishes last night. If you don't know how to wash the dishes, don't use anything in the kitchen, okay?! I hope you can give respect to the next users". I was not smiling when I said that but I tried to keep calm, bearing in mind that I was not in my own country and I am speaking with people who have different cultural background. I don't know how to say that in a nicer way, so I just played with the tone of my voice. As far as I've observed, people give more positive response when we say something politely and kindly rather than angrily. Guess what? It worked. After that, I saw them getting the casserole and plates and they started to wash them. I also created a sign and placed it at the entrance of the kitchen: "Please wash your utensils and clean the kitchen after using them. If you don't know who to clean, don't use, okay?!!" The receptionist told me, "You are a strong woman. I wish I could be a strong woman like you. If I find it [messy], I just clean it but I don't confront them." I laughed and said, "I'm not sure if I'm really strong. I just don't tolerate bad behavior." The cleaner also thanked me because from then on the kitchen stayed clean; everyone started washing their own dishes. 

I have also met new friends: Ilias and Juju from Morocco, Angela from Ecuador, Jasmine from Romania, Eva from Greece, Lily from Thailand, etc. I think my roommates and I are not just friends, we are a family. We always care for each other. It has just been days we've met, but I already feel comfortable with them. We always go together and help each other in times of need. Even if our situation in the hostel is not so good, we are happy because we have each other. The Egyptians I've met are also nice. When I was in the airport waiting for my flight to Cairo, a muslim lady from Alexandria gave me dates as a welcome treat as she exclaimed "welcome to Egypt". Ahmed Samy carried my heavy luggage that's about 30 kg all the way from the airport to the top of the building where the hostel was located. I have never heard him complain; he was just smiling all the time. The receptionist  in the hostel was also nice to me and she's treating me as her daughter. She accompanied me to the ATM machine even when she was about to go home already and bought ice cream for me when we passed by the ice cream shop. I think I should be the one who should buy something for her after helping me. I am still thankful to be in Egypt or else I wouldn't meet these awesome people. ^_^ 

Next, I will be going to Luxor and Aswan. Stay tuned for my next blog. I am excited to see what's in store for me in Egypt. I love this country, and I think when we love something, we don't just appreciate the things we find wonderful but we should also accept its flaws. Every challenge is an opportunity for us to become better people. We may not always be able to change our circumstance, but we can choose how to react on it. Which is better, to respond with anger or compassion? I think we can understand other people and their culture more if we try to be more compassionate than judgemental. We are travelling because we want to broaden our knowledge and become wiser. People are not perfect, and no one will be, but we can have a better environment and a more peaceful world if we would always act with love and compassion. As long as they're not fooling me, it's fine. If we just dwell on negative things, we might no longer see the positive ones. I think it is important for us to always have an optimistic outlook so we can enjoy our trips better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Go to Siargao from Samar the Cheapest and Easiest Way

Visa Application Sample Cover Letter for Freelancers

Adventure Diary: Pinipisakan Falls and Sulpan Cave