My Misadventures in Europe



While most people like to go with their friends, I always prefer to explore new places alone so I can have all my time for myself. Well, I might sound pretty selfish, but I like consuming my time by staring at and observing the buildings. I am very much fascinated of other countries' unique architecture. Unfortunately, it's not my other friends' cup of tea as they have other interests. Hence, I usually just go somewhere all by myself and hope to eventually meet someone who is like me.

When I decide to visit other countries, I always want to make sure that they have something that cannot be found in my country. Hence, I take photos of almost everything so I can show them to my family and friends. For now, my photos are the only way for them to have a glimpse of what I can see since I can't bring all of them with me. The Philippines is already filled with a lot of beautiful nature sceneries. Hence, I prefer to choose a country based on their architecture and landscapes.

I was able to have the chance to roam around Europe for exactly 60 days from October 30-December 25, 2016. I visited ten cities in six countries. I had a volunteer work via AIESEC in Czech Republic on weekdays for six weeks and went traveling on weekends. I allotted two more weeks to visit other countries after my work. My friends told me I was brave for doing so because I'm a female plus the fact that my height is too short (I stand only 160 cm in case you're curious), but for me I think it should be normal. Seriously speaking, if there is one thing that single women shouldn't be afraid to try, I think it should be solo-travelling. I bet many travelers would agree with me that solo-traveling is the best way to immerse yourself in a foreign land. When you're travelling alone, you can always try something new and do whatever you want without any peer pressure, meet new people who can soon become your new friends and get acquainted with their culture, and gain new experiences which are worth story-telling. Awesome, isn't it?

Since many people are curious of what happened to me during my trip, I decided to write another blog about it. My other friends who have heard my story has been encouraging me to write my experiences to inspire others although my experiences are quite funny rather than inspiring.  I hope you can have fun reading it, too. I'll just write another article for each country I have visited. For now, I will just share about the bloopers a.k.a. "the highlights of my trip."



CZECH REPUBLIC

Not all people can speak English fluently in Czech Republic, especially the older ones. I had a hard time communicating especially when asking directions. However, I am impressed that Czech people are very helpful and kind to me. They really tried their best to guide me by using signs. Unfortunately, since I was not able to understand everything I would often get lost. Luckily, some people kindly accompanied me to where I'm going. 

The worst blooper was when I rode the wrong bus late at night in České Budějovice. I was supposed to go back to my host family in Dobrá Voda after my work at the university. I was very confident that I will be able to come home efficiently because I have already mastered IDOS. Unfortunately, I was not able to recognize that I rode the wrong station until the bus already stopped at the last station and I was still not able to pass by Dobrá Voda. I asked the bus driver if the bus is still going to Dobrá Voda. He couldn't speak English, so he showed me the schedule of the bus. Damn! The bus would only start moving after an hour. I checked the time on my phone, it was almost midnight and I already had a lot of missed calls from my host family. I couldn't see any people on the street anymore. I supposed the people were sleeping already because their house lights were already turned off as well. It was dark and silent. The bus driver suddenly turned off the lights inside the bus. I stayed calm and just thought that he just probably wanted to save gasoline. If I were in the Philippines, I would already start getting nervous and think of how to fight in case something bad happens! I texted my host family where I was, then they called me. They told me to just stay at the station because they will get me there. I told the bus driver that I will be going out, so he opened the door. What a relief! Czech Republic is indeed safe. Despite my stupidity, I was very thankful that nothing bad happened to me.



AUSTRIA

I always have the habit to be at the station one to two hours before the schedule because I didn't want to miss my trip in case something unexpected happens. My train schedule from Vienna going back to Czech Republic was at 4 pm. I arrived at Wien Franz-Josefs-Bahnhof station past 2 pm. I happily entered the station because I was very early. It's looks different from the other train stations. I guess it's an old station. I checked my platform number on the timetable and waited for the train to arrive. After thirty minutes, a train suddenly arrived at the platform where I was supposed to ride my train. I got confused as to why it was very early. I went to the platform and asked the driver of the train if the it's the one going to České Velenice. He couldn't speak English but I guess he was able to understand that I was asking him something. He checked my ticket and showed me a paper with a list of train schedule. Anyway, I was not able to understand what he was saying. After a few minutes, I saw other passengers going inside the train. I asked them, "Is this the train going to České Velenice?" They just looked at me because they couldn't understand me. I just went inside the train as well because I was afraid to miss it if it's the right one. I unconsciously fell asleep upon reaching a seat because I was very tired. Fortunately, I was able to wake up when the train started moving. Waiiiiiiit!!! It's not yet 4 pm!!! I asked everyone, "Is this the train going to České Velenice?" I kept repeating but nobody was answering me. Luckily, I saw a college student at the back who's reading her academic book. "Excuse me, is this the train going to České Velenice?" I asked again. She said, "No, this train is going to [the name of a place]". My heart rapidly palpitated and I jumped off right away as soon as the train stopped at the next station. I ran fast because I was worried that I might miss the correct train. Fortunately, I saw some college students playing skateboards on the road, so I asked them the way going back to Wien Franz-Josefs-Bahnhof station. Sigh! Good thing I was able to reach the station twenty minutes before the train left. My lucky experience didn't end there...
I slept deeply on the first train because I was so tired that I didn't notice that my ticket already got lost. I only realized that my ticket was missing when I was already on the second train, the one from České Velenice to České Budějovice. I met new friends while on the second train, so I got busy chitchatting with them. When the ticket inspector checked our tickets, I didn't notice that I gave her the wrong ticket (the one from České Budějovice to Salzburg), yet she still placed a stamp on it. When she returned the ticket to me, I read it again so I can check what time we would arrive in České Budějovice. Only then I realized that I gave her the wrong ticket. I suddenly got nervous because I didn't have extra money in case I might pay for another ticket because I lost it. I asked my friends if another inspector would check our tickets again (you know, in my country two to three inspectors check our tickets every time I ride a ferry boat or bus). I was relieved when they said that our tickets will only be checked once. I suddenly felt joy. I was sweating even when the temperature at that moment was -1°C. 
😅


This is the ticket.



BERLIN

Another experience I could never forget was the one in Berlin. Although I met new friends during my trip, I decided to go solo on the second day so I can explore the city by myself. The transportation system in Berlin is relatively easy and tourist-friendly. I just bought a whole-day ticket so I could ride the train unlimited. 

While I was in museum island, my battery was only at  20% so I went to find McDonald's nearby so I can charge my phone since I was not able to bring my powerbank with me. One person suddenly approached me and said, "Hey! You seem lost. Where are you going? Can I help you?" I answered shyly, "Ah, yes, please! I want to go to McDonald's". He just laughed out loud and left😢

Anyway, life must go on, so I just tried to find McDonald's by myself.

While walking along the streets, I suddenly found some people playing with boxes and a ball made of paper. The man will pass the ball to the three boxes and you just have to guess which box has the ball. If you can guess correctly, your money will be doubled. However, you are only allowed to bet €50, not more or less than that. I only had €65 with me, so I just watched them. I helped one player double his money because I can always guess correctly. Finally, he told me to try it. I said no because I have no money. Unfortunately, he was able to convince me so I bet my €50. Guess what? I lost. I was dumbfounded because I only had €15 left. At that moment, I was thinking what I can buy in McDonald's without spending all my money because I still have one more day in Berlin. I thought, "How can €15 be an exact amount for me for my dinner and meals for the next day? I should not eat a lot." I asked God for forgiveness because I know I shouldn't have done gambling. "Oh, Lord, is this some form of punishment? I'm sorry. I'm sorry," I prayed. I was calculating my future expenses in my mind already, then one Indian college student approached me. He asked, "Hey! Are you okay?" I told him that I lost my money in the betting game. Then, he said, "You know what? You can get your money back if you take a picture of the criminal and tell the police." And there was light. I went back but I couldn't found the man who took my money. I just stayed there and watch them play. I tried to help other players in guessing, hoping that maybe they can give me some money because I helped them win, but they didn't. While observing them, I realized that not all players are authentic players. Some of them are also a part of their group. They were just acting so they can convince other passersby to play. They stopped every fifteen minutes to avoid the policeman. I keep on guessing correctly and the man thought I won and was supposed to give me €100 already, but I didn't receive it. I told him I didn't bet. Ehem! Honesty is the best policy, you know. .  They told me to bet but I told them I didn't have money anymore because I already lost my money with the other guy. When the man stopped his game, I asked him if he can help me get my money back, but he just told me to get the money from the other guy. I said, "Sir, please help me. I don't have money anymore. I have nothing to eat. I might also not go back to Czech Republic anymore." I actually still have money on my ATM. I just exaggerated it so he would feel sorry for me then help me. Then he said, "Try to go the bridge near the museum. He might be there." I went back to the museum but I couldn't find the man who took my money, so I went back to him. I begged him again and told him, "Maybe you can just give me my €50 and then you can tell the man that you gave my money back so he has a debt from you, then you can ask my €50 from him." The man stared at me like 

"You should get the money from him, not me, because I didn't get your money."

"But you are friends! You can just get my money from him then please give me  €50 so I can go."

He still looked at me like , and told me to go away. I still didn't go away. He went to the other bench, but I still kept on following him. I kept on following him wherever he went. I think I pissed him off because he suddenly shouted.
"Go away! Stop following me," he said."But I don't have money anymore.""I told you I don't have your money.""But I told you, you can get my money from your friend."
He was just silent.
"Okay. Maybe you can give me my €50. You also cheated other people anyway. You can give the €50 from other people to me, then I will go."
"So what will you do to me if I don't give you your money? Are you going to kill me? Why don't you tell the police?"

I actually don't know where the police was because I didn't see one. Probably they're not wearing uniform? I answered, "I'm not a killer. I will not kill you. What's the use of telling the police? Is he going to give my €50 back to me. You, guys, get money from us, so you should return mine to me."

Upon saying this, his friends suddenly came and they did the game again. His other friend said, "Just wait here. He will come back." I was almost in tears. I have used all my acting skills. I guess my reasons were also already illogical. I just wanted to get my money back.
After a while, one of his friends told me, "Come! come!", so I came with him. Then, I found the man who took my money. He approached me and gave my money back to me. The man whom I was bugging smiled at me and asked, "Are you happy?" Then all of them told me, "Don't play anymore. Don't play." I said, "Thank you." Then, when I was already going they told me, "Take care!" and the other guy gave me a pat on my shoulder.
After that, I already went to McDonalds. I think I spent more than an hour just to wait for them to give my money back to me. Nevertheless, I was very happy and I vowed not to gamble again. The next day, I toured the rest of the city with my Chinese friends whom I've just met in Berlin, because I was afraid to be fooled or get lost again.

When I told this story to my friends in Czech Republic. They told me it was a popular scam. Anyway, I didn't know anything about it. I guess I didn't do my research very well. At least I got my money back and learned a new lesson during my trip. 


New friends I met in Berlin. Thank you!!! ^_^



AMSTERDAM

On my first day in Amsterdam, I met an American friend at the hostel who invited me to have breakfast with him at an Irish restaurant. It was delicious and the serving was big. We parted ways after breakfast because I want to see the museums; he already has gone there so he wanted to go somewhere else. Everything was fine until I suddenly felt an upset stomach while I was already in Van Gogh's museum. Fortunately, the hostel I booked is just near the museum so I walked as fast as I could. Thankfully, I didn't create any mess, but the feeling was horrible. I think I will have to think twice next time I will have to eat an Irish breakfast. Most embarrassing story ever, but I will include it here anyhow, so other people can be warned of eating an unfamiliar food.

On my second night, I met two new Brazilian friends who invited me to go to Sugar factory. They told me I just need to pay the entrance fee, then the rest is unlimited except for drinks. From the name itself, I thought we will be eating sweets. I was excited because I really liked the waffles in Amsterdam. When we came... Tadah!!! It's a disco house!!   I am an introvert. I am for coffee shops and libraries only.  Ijust took pictures inside and observed the people because I felt ashamed to leave my new friends; but they are nice, they told me I can just go back to the hostel so I did. 





While checking out at the hostel in Amsterdam, I suddenly lost the card-key. I paid €10 as a deposit for it, and I wouldn't be able to get my money back if I couldn't find it. I knew that the card-key was just in the room but I couldn't find it because it was still dark. I couldn't turn the lights on because the others are still sleeping. I told the staff about it. They told me that they can give my €10 back to me even without the card-key with a condition that I will give them a good review. As promised:



PARIS

It has always been my dream to celebrate Christmas in front of Eiffel Tower. Thankfully, I have a friend in Paris who helped me make this dream come true. Paris, they say, is a romantic place, but it's actually not. The city is filled with robbers, cheaters, and thieves. Once you go there, just forget everything you have imagined or else you might just be disappointed. Thanks to my friend because he accompanied me there. I might not be able to stay outside until past midnight if I were alone due to the dangers of the city. 



My Algerian friend in Paris. Thank you, Moumene! ^_^

My friend and I parted ways in the middle of our route. I didn't let him drop me off at my hostel anymore because he might not be able to ride the other train on his way home as it will stop running at 00:40. When I was at the station, a man suddenly approached me. He was speaking in French, but I could understand that he was asking for directions. Why was he asking me knowing that I am just a tourist? LOL I just said, "Désolé! Je ne comprends pas!" Gosh! I don't know how to speak French! I'm getting a nosebleed. Haha Suddenly, I noticed someone is picking something in my pocket. When I turned around, the man and the other guy looked away. Fortunately, I have nothing on my pocket except for my tissue paper with my nasal discharge as I was having colds on that day. hahaha In an attempt to get some money, he picked my trashes instead. I walked fast going to the area with many people immediately because I was afraid that they might come back and do something to me. Good thing I placed my phone and money in my bag, and my bag was locked so it's impossible for them to get something from it. 

I consider my experience in Paris the scariest yet the most hilarious one. Good luck to the pickpocketer! Instead of money, he got cold virus from me. I supposed he could have caught cold the next day. 

Among all of the European cities I visited, I think Paris is the most dangerous. I've heard that some tourists got mugged by robbers. Please never put your valuable items in your pockets and never display your accessories.

Many people are asking me where I get my courage when traveling alone. My answer? Faith. If I can travel alone, you can do it, too. ^_^





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Go to Siargao from Samar the Cheapest and Easiest Way

Visa Application Sample Cover Letter for Freelancers

Adventure Diary: Pinipisakan Falls and Sulpan Cave