Travel Diary: Exploring Biliran


Biliran is an island in Leyte. It is not a popular tourist spot in the Philippines, which I think is a good thing because it means there will be less tourists, but it surely has a lot of things to offer. I went there while there was low pressure. LOL I have already committed for this trip, so I could no longer cancel it. Rain or shine, we will go! We were supposed to go to Sambawan island, but we changed our itinerary because the local government prohibited any aquatic vehicle to cross the waters due to the bad weather condition. Nevertheless, I still had fun exploring the place. We went to many waterfalls, but I was not able to take many pictures, because it was very slippery and my camera isn't waterproof.

The weather was like this when I climbed the mountains:




Anyway, the following are the places I visited during my two-day tour:



TINAGO FALLS






ULAN-ULAN FALLS


It was raining very hard when I went there. It was quite difficult for me to take a good photo because it was very slippery and I was afraid my camera might get broken if I will expose it to the rain for a long time. I just took a video instead.



SAMPAO FALLS











MAINIT HOT SPRING


"Mainit" is a Filipino word which means "hot". Hence, the name is like "Hot hot spring". Anyway, it is indeed hot. There is one part of the spring where you can boil egg because of its high temperature, but there are some parts which are not so hot that you can still take a bath if you like. Locals believe that taking a bath in this spring will make your skin better and help you get rid of certain skin diseases.






Video of Mainit Hot Spring. Apologies for my bad accent.




ACABAN


I honestly don't like the shape and color of the rocks in this place. However, this site boasts a certain legend and mystery. It was also called "The Lovers' Cave" because one foreign man fell in love with a Filipina and made his proposal in this location. When the man died, his ashes were spread in that heart-shaped structure that you can see at the entrance. The cave was just man-made; it was caused by the dynamites blasted by treasure hunters years ago. It was not confirmed if they were really able to find some precious things from the area though. Locals also believe that the alkaline water from the cave has some healing properties. 









TALAHID BEACH


There are many beaches in Biliran, but this beach is the one closest to my friend's house. This one is located in Talahid (that's why it's called Talahid Beach ðŸ˜‚)).There are many resorts in this place: Agta, Talahid, VRC, and I forgot the other one. Anyway, only the names and owners of the resorts are different, but it's just one beach. The only difference is that other resorts have swimming pools and offer other services while others just have cottages and overnight rooms. 








CANAAN HILL FARMS AND HONEY GARDEN 


If you are looking for a farm that produces organic fruits and vegetables, I recommend you to visit this place. They have variety of plant species, some are just ornamental but most are edible. I also have learned a lot during my visit; I discovered the health benefits of some plants which I used to take for granted (I will probably write a separate post for this). 





HOW TO GO THERE:


From Samar --------van--------> Tacloban ------------van----------> Biliran


From Manila ------plane-------> Tacloban airport ------ van------> Biliran


From Cebu -----plane/ferry-----> Ormoc ----------- van----------> Biliran




PRICES (per person):


Fare for Van: PHP 120.00

Motorcycle Tour for one dayPHP 500-1000 (negotiable); Jovie Sabong 09774451760

Package tour (with fare, unlimited meals, tour guide, accomodation, canyoning, etc): PHP 1500-3000 (negotiable) ; You may contact Joni Bonifacio  of http://www.trexplore.ph/



OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS:


You can visit the other sites from this poster. Credit: Joni Bonifacio (This is his poster). hehe




If you have any question, don't hesitate to put your comment in the section below. :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Go to Siargao from Samar the Cheapest and Easiest Way

Visa Application Sample Cover Letter for Freelancers

Adventure Diary: Pinipisakan Falls and Sulpan Cave